Potato & Pickle Salad (Serves 6)
This is my version of my wife, Olive’s, delicious potato salad. The wonderfully fresh, earthy flavour of the new season, Homeguards or Jersey Royals combined with delicately spiced vinaigrette, mayonnaise and crunchy, salty, vinegary pickles. Glorious! It’s best to leave the potato salad to cool overnight in the fridge and then, before serving, leave the mix to come back to room temperature and rectify the seasoning.
What you need
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 sachet Green Saffron Bombay Aloo
90ml grape-seed oil
1.5kg raw weight, waxy potatoes, new crop, skin scrubbed
Sea salt to season
10 chives, finely sliced
4 cornichons, sliced into discs
200g best mayonnaise
Good handful curly parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp Capers, drained, dried, leave whole and shallow fry over moderate-high heat to “pop” the buds, then transfer to a sheet of paper towel and leave to cool
3 Spring onions, finely chopped on the diagonal
5 Breakfast radishes, halved with the stalks trimmed but left on
How to make it
- Pour the lemon juice and vinegar into a small bowl, add the sachet of Green Saffron spices and mix well. Grab a whisk, pour in the oil and whisk well to combine. Set aside
- Gently boil the potatoes in generously salted water until just soft, when prodded with the point of a sharp knife, then drain and pat dry to remove excess moisture
- Slice thickly, pop into a large mixing bowl, immediately pour in the spiced vinaigrette whilst the potatoes are still warm and gently stir to combine.
- Add the sliced chives and cornichons, stir gently, then add the mayonnaise, mix well to combine, then pop into your fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight
- When ready to serve, spoon the mix gently onto a platter, stir through the parsley, sprinkle over the garnish ingredients and it’s ready!