Rogan Josh – Medium (Serves 4-6)
What you need
500g/1lb onions, peeled, thinly sliced
60g/2oz ghee, butter, clarified butter or 3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Rogan Josh Spice Mix
8 cloves garlic, finely chopped or blitzed
60g or 2 fat inches ginger, grated or blitzed with skin on
1kg/2lb stewing lamb, cut into cubes
600ml/1 pint (or 4 small pots) natural, plain yoghurt
1 tin tomatoes, chopped smooth
1 tbsp sugar
200ml/1 pint lamb stock (or water)
How to make it
- Heat the ghee, butter (or clarified butter, oil) in a large casserole dish or saucepan on medium.
- Next, add the packet of GREEN SAFFRON Rogan Josh Spice Mix and fry until you hear crackling (this will be pretty much instant), then add the sliced onions and fry until golden.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lamb cubes and fry for a further 15 minutes.
- Add the yoghurt, tomatoes and sugar. Simmer on low heat with the lid off for 30 minutes.
- Finally, increase the heat and stir. Then add in the stock and cook on a gentle heat until the lamb is tender. (approx. 1.5hrs) …simple!
Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander and serve with Indian Basmati rice
Try replacing the lamb with 1kg/2lbs of chicken breast cut into mouth-size pieces, but first cook the sauce for about one and a half hours then add the chicken and only cook for about a further 20 minutes otherwise the chicken will be really tough.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking! With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!