Red Lentil Dahl – Mild (Serves 6-8)
What you need
500g/1lb red lentils, soaked and rinsed
250g/½lb white (Spanish) onions, peeled, chunky diced
2 red onions, peeled, diced
60g/2oz ghee, butter, clarified butter or 3 tbsp vegetable oil
6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or blitzed
1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped (alter according to your heat tolerance!)
120g, or 4 fat inches ginger, grated or blitzed with skin on
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Red Lentil Dahl Spice Mix
800ml/2 tins tomatoes, chopped
400ml/1 tin coconut milk
600ml/1 pint vegetable stock (or water)
Juice of 1 lime
Coriander, finely chopped
How to make it
- Soak the lentils for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the ghee, butter (or clarified butter, oil) in a large casserole dish or saucepan on medium and sweat the onions, garlic, chilli and ginger together.
- Next, add the packet of Red Lentil Dahl Spice Mix and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tins of tomatoes, sugar and coconut milk and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse the red lentils well and add to the pot. Simmer, adding the stock (or water) bit by bit as it’s absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent it from sticking. Cook on medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve immediately …simple!
Serve with mounds of Indian Basmati rice and riata or Indian bread.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking! With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!