Madras – Medium (Tamil Style) (Serves 4-6)
What you need
60g/2oz ghee, clarified butter or 3 good tbsp vegetable oil
500g/1lb onions, peeled, diced
6 fat cloves garlic, crushed or whizzed
60g or 2 fat inches ginger, grated or whizzed
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Madras Spice Mix
1kg/2lb stewing lamb, cut into cubes
1 tin tomatoes, chopped
1 tin coconut milk
2 tsp, heaped of GREEN SAFFRON Garam Masala Spice Mix (optional, but recommended)
A good handful fresh coriander, finely chopped (stalks and all)
Juice of ½ fresh lime
How to make it
- Melt the ghee in a large casserole dish or heavy-bottomed saucepan, then add the onions, sugar and fry on medium heat until they’re a good golden brown colour
- Add the garlic, ginger and GREEN SAFFRON Madras Spice Mix. Stir around for a couple of minutes to evenly coat all ingredients
- Turn up the heat, add the lamb cubes and stir around briefly to again coat all ingredients
- Add the tomatoes and coconut milk to the pan and cook for 5 minutes
- Then turn the heat down to a simmer, put the lid on the pan and allow to gently bubble for 1½ to 2 hours or until the lamb is tender and the sauce has reduced to the thickness you want.
*NB If you want the sauce to thicken up, take the lid off the pan after 1½ hours and allow it to reduce for 10 to 15 minutes
6. Turn off the heat, squeeze in the lime juice, throw in the fresh coriander, the GREEN SAFFRON Garam Masala, stir around to combine all the flavours and serve….simple!
Serve with mounds of Green Saffron’s Indian Basmati rice and spiced banana riata.
Try replacing the lamb with 2lbs of chicken breast cut into mouth-size pieces, but remember to only cook it for about 30 minutes otherwise the chicken will be really tough. Fish could also be used instead of lamb. Monkfish is recommended as it has a firmer texture. Again, remember to only just cook the fish. This could take as little as 15 to 20 minutes.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!