Green Saffron’s Mild Korma (Serves 4-6)
What you need
500g/1lb onions, peeled, sliced
60g/2oz butter clarified butter or 3 tbsp vegetable oil
8 cloves garlic, crushed
60g or 2 fat inches ginger, grated
1 tin coconut milk
1 tin tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp sugar
1kg/2lb stewing lamb, cut into cubes
300ml/½pt (or 2 small pots) natural, plain yoghurt
How to make it
- Sweat the onions in the butter (or clarified butter/oil) in a large casserole dish or saucepan.
- Turn the heat up to medium, add the garlic and ginger and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the packet of Korma Spice Mix and stir for a minute or so.
- Turn the heat up a bit more before adding the tomatoes and sugar, stir and reduce the mixture for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir thoroughly and reduce by half.
- Add the meat and the yoghurt and cook until tender (approx. 2 hours)…simple!
Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander and serve with Indian Basmati rice
Try replacing the lamb with 2lbs of chicken breast cut into mouth-size pieces, but remember to only cook it for about 30 minutes otherwise the chicken will be really tough. Fish could also be used instead of lamb. Monkfish is recommended as it has a firmer texture. Again, remember to only just cook the fish. This could take as little as 15 to 20 minutes.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!