Garam Masala Cookies
What you need
Makes about 30-40 cookies depending on your cutter size
120g, 4oz salted butter
90g, 3oz caster sugar
60g, 2oz plain flour
150g, 5oz porridge oats
Pinch of baking powder
3tsp of GREEN SAFFRON Garam Masala
How to make it
- Turn your oven onto Gas Mk 7 or approximately 210 C.
First, you need to make the cookie dough…:
2. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food processor.
3. Turn the food processor on to high speed, cream the butter and sugar together for a few minutes until pale. (You may need to cream the butter by itself for a while if it’s straight out of the fridge before adding the sugar…)
4. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together; the flour, oats, baking powder and GREEN SAFFRON Garam Masala.
5. Turn the food processor down to a slow speed and add all the mixed, dry ingredients to the food processor bowl a handful at a time, to avoid clouds of flour engulfing you and your kitchen.
6. Once the mixture has come together, turn off the food processor, take out the dough mixture and place it on a lightly floured, clean surface.
Now for the cookies…:
7. Using your favourite rolling-pin, roll the dough out until it’s about half an inch (1.5cm) thick all over (don’t forget to keep rubbing flour onto your rolling pin to prevent the dough from sticking to it).
8. Then, cut the cookies out using the cutter of your choice (the lid of an empty jam jar will do fine).
9. Place the cookie shapes onto a baking tray (no need to flour it, oil it or use any sort of baking parchment), pop the tray onto the middle shelf of your pre-heated oven and close the door!
10. Bake the cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until they’re golden brown, then take them out of the oven and place on a cooling rack…simple!
WAIT UNTIL THEY’VE COOLED DOWN COMPLETELY BEFORE SERVING
Serve these excellent cookies with a pot of GREEN SAFFRON Chai for an alternative, fragrant afternoon’s chill out. Or, hard, salty cheeses or with Rhubarb Fool, Gooseberry Fool….Or crumble the cookies up and use as an alternative base for a creamy cheesecake, maybe something like lemon….. The list goes on….Just enjoy them however you eat them!
*Whilst we can guarantee delicious cookies when you use GREEN SAFFRON Garam Masala, other brands of Garam Masala will give you different results….strive for the best!