Dhuli Kismis – Medium (Serves 4-6)
Fruit, particularly sultanas, in Indian, spiced dishes??! Not normally my thing, but this typical Gujarati vegetarian dish incorporates the sweetness of sultanas (kismis), with peppery-anise carom seeds, lemon juice and butter beans (dhuli) for a subtly spiced meal to change even the most stubborn of minds…..! It’s full of flavour, wonderfully satisfying and perfect when your tummy needs to take a break from (festive) over indulgences!
What you need
Sunflower oil, 60ml/4 tbsp
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Dhuli Kismis Spice Mix
Butter beans, 2 tins, drained OR 250g/8oz dry beans soaked in 1ltr/2pints of cold water overnight
Sugar, 20g/1 tbsp
Lemon, ½, juice and zest
Vegetable stock, 250ml/½ pint
Fresh coriander, good handful, roughly chopped
How to make it
This is really quick and simple…
- Take a large mixing bowl, pop the (drained) beans, sultanas, sugar, lemon juice, zest into it and stir gently to combine; you’ll need to be careful not to break up the beans. Set aside.
- Then, place a heavy-bottomed, large pan or casserole on to a medium-high flame, add the oil and heat for a moment.
- Pour your packet of GREEN SAFFRON Dhuli Kismis Spice Mix into the pan and stir immediately just two or three times…..
- …then, pour all the ingredients from the bowl into the hot, spicy oil and stir gently once or twice to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to simmer then turn down the heat and allow to bubble with the lid off for about 5 minutes* if you’re using tinned butter beans, or until you have a good, thick gravy. Turn off the heat…
*NB it will take about 30mins if you’re using dried, soaked beans. But keep simmering with the lid on the pan until the beans are soft to the bite, or cooked to your own preference. Just make sure to add a little stock from time to time if the pan starts to get too dry….
6. ……sprinkle with the fresh coriander, stir and serve immediately. Simple!
Serve with mounds of Green Saffron’s fluffy Aged Basmati rice or Naan OR serve a side dish to accompany another of your favourite Green Saffron dishes…
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients, or add others, go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!