Butterflied ‘Old Delhi’ Spiced Lamb (Serves 10-12)
What you need
1 x 4 to 5kg leg of lamb, butterflied
2 x jars Green Saffron Tikka sauce
100ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
60ml freshly squeezed lime juice
White wine vinegar
Lots of fresh mint
Sea salt (to season)
How to make it
- Mix the jars of sauce with the lemon and lime juices
- Trim the meat, and with the point of a knife make lots of jabs in it on both sides.
- Pop the boned out leg in a big roasting tray and cover in the marinade paste. Fold the meat over, or cut it into 2 pieces, if there is no room. Make a few more jabs with your knife rub the marinade well in all over.
- Cover the container and leave refrigerated for 24 hours. Turn the meat over at least 3 or 4 times during this period.
- Take the meat from the bowl, shaking off excess marinade and place on a very hot pan.
- Sear 5-8 minutes on each side, then pop in your over at 180°C and cook for about 40 to 50mins, basting every so often with the marinade
- When cooked take the meat out and rest it. Meanwhile, make a gastric sauce in the roasting pan with the meat juices, remaining marinade, dark muscovado sugar and white wine vinegar. Check seasoning.
- Chop plenty of fresh mint and stir through the finished sauce.
- To serve, warm a large platter. Place the meat on a carving board and cut it into thin slices.
- Place the sliced and chunky meat pieces onto the warm platter. Cover in the gastric and serve!