Biryani – Medium (Serves 4-6)
What you need
1kg/2lb of stewing lamb, diced
5 large cloves of garlic, crushed or blitzed
2 fat inches (60g) of ginger, grated or blitzed with skin on
¼pt/125ml (or 1 small pot) natural, plain yoghurt
1 green chilli, finely chopped (or use a red chilli if a green one isn’t available)
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Biryani SACHET 1 Marinade Mix
½ lemon, zest and juice
A nice handful of mint leaves, chopped
1 tbsp ghee, oil, clarified butter or butter
2 pints of water
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Biryani SACHET 2 Rice Mix
300g/11oz Indian Basmati rice washed thoroughly and drained
How to make it
How to start making your meal:
- Combine all the STEP 1 ingredients, mix well, cover with a damp tea towel and set aside for at least four hours (or overnight in the fridge)
How to finish making your meal:
- Heat the ghee, oil (clarified butter or butter) in a large pan or casserole (so long as the one you choose has a tight-fitting lid), add all the meat and marinade from Step 1 and cook on medium for about 25 minutes. Then set aside – it’s not needed until later (see part 5 below)
- Meanwhile, put the water into a large saucepan, add the Biryani SACHET 2 Rice Mix and the rice bring to the boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Strain the remaining water from the rice into the meat mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Spread the rice in an even layer over the meat.
- Put the lid on the pan or casserole and place on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Then turn the heat to its lowest setting and cook gently for 30 minutes, keeping the lid on and not stirring at all!
- Remove from the heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before taking to the table, lifting off the lid and allowing everyone to get the full, fragrant Eastern aroma……simple!
Sprinkle with a little freshly chopped mint and serve with GREEN SAFFRON Riata.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!