Arun’s Summer Sunshine Salad (Serves 4-6)
with Spiced Nectarine, Chickpea & Feta – the combination of fresh, invigorating garden mint, sweet juicy nectarines, soft-bite nutty chickpeas and gently salty feta cheese brought beautifully together with our vibrant Sunny Sunshine Dressing is truly one to savour. Glass of your favourite tipple in hand, picnic rugs, friends, family ….this surprisingly quick salad goes with any meal from sausages, to steak to fish to juicy chicken thighs; its freshness is the key. A ‘slice’ of pure summer on your fork!
What you need
Nectarine, ripe 2 or 3
Icing sugar 1 heaped tbsp
Red onion ½, sliced very thinly (you can use a mandolin for this)
Lime juice 1 lime, juiced
Irish goats cheese, soft 50g
Chickpeas 2 tins, drained and rinsed (organic are best) OR 400g dried weight, soaked overnight, then re-hydrated
Wild rocket leaves, freshly picked a small handful, wash carefully & dry (approx. 60g), torn
Mint leaves good handful, roughly chopped
Feta cheese 60g, sliced and crumbled roughly
100ml of Green Saffron’s ‘Sunny Sunshine Dressing’ made by combining these ingredients:
Store what’s left in your fridge ‘til next time!
150ml Rapeseed oil
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of half an orange
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Sweet Mirin
2 tsp White wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
How to make it
- Place the sliced red onions into the lime juice and set aside for at least 1 hour
- Make the ‘Sunshine’ dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl
- Place the nectarines onto your chopping board and cut each of them into four wedges, slicing down around the stone
- Discard the stone, then cut the wedges again so you have eight nice, chunky ‘slices’ per fruit
- Using a sieve, dust the slices with the icing sugar on both sides. Grab a non-stick frypan and, using no oil, quickly sear, dry fry the fruit slices in small batches so they are only just caramelised on both sides, then pop them onto a wire rack to cool
- Take the onions out of the lime juice. Holding the onions in one hand over your sink, squeeze out the liquid with a firm, but gentle touch and set aside for a moment.
- Take a large mixing bowl from your cupboard. Add 100ml of the dressing, mix with the soft goat’s cheese, then add all the other ingredients and gently combine to lightly coat everything
- Serve chilled with Green Saffron’s Tandoori chicken, fish or steak, crusty bread and lashings of your favourite summer cordial. Or simply enjoy by itself!