Aloo Gobhi – Mild (Serves 4-6)
This is a wonderfully simple Northern Indian dish that really allows the flavour of lovely fresh cauliflower to shine through! As children, my brothers and I were often fed this delicious dish for breakfast with warm, buttery roti. It’s great as a snack by itself, or as a meal when served with rice, or simply an excellent accompaniment to any Green Saffron dish you may care to cook! Main thing is…enjoy!
What you need
30ml/2 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
1 large onion (approx. 450g/1lb), finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic (approx.. 30g/1oz), finely chopped or blitzed
1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped (alter according to your heat tolerance!)
2 fat inches ginger (approx. 60g/2oz) grated or blitzed with skin on
500g/1lb potato, peeled, diced
1 packet of GREEN SAFFRON Bombay Potatoes Spice Mix
1kg/2lb of cauliflower florets (or 1 head of cauliflower cut into florets)
60ml/4tblsp cold water
15ml/1tblsp ghee, butter or clarified butter
A nice handful of coriander, finely chopped
½ lemon (optional)
How to make it
- In a thick bottomed casserole dish or saucepan, sweat the onions, garlic, ginger, potatoes and chillies in the oil with the lid on for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Next, add the cauliflower florets, stir again to combine all the flavours and ingredients and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add your packet of GREEN SAFFRON Bombay Potatoes Spice Mix. Turn up the heat slightly and fry everything for a couple of minutes, stirring as you go.
- Then, add the ghee (or butter) and stir well.
- Add the water, pop the lid back onto the pan and simmer gently for about 5 more minutes.
- Finally, sprinkle with fresh coriander, a quick squeeze of lemon juice and serve immediately …simple!
Serve with Green Saffron’s Aged Basmati rice, Naan bread and riata.
Why not try
This recipe has been tried and tested by the Green Saffron Masaalchi and is pretty much guaranteed, but if you want to change the quantities of a couple of ingredients go for it….experiment and enjoy your cooking. With Green Saffron spices you can’t go wrong!!!